Thursday, August 13, 2015

Sunshine Meadows Banff National Park Aug. 12/2015




Sunshine Meadows Hike




August 12/2015 Day Hike







Rock Isle Lake B.C.


Ruth and I talked about doing this hike earlier in the year. We were going to attempt on our last holiday and were just to tired and wanted to give this day our fullest.
And we needed full effort, Fitbit recorded 16701 steps. 107 flights of stairs and 8 K.!!
My phone has a app that records steps and it recorded 19265 steps...either way it was a slog.
Next day thoughts, I am not sure we need to push as hard. I am sure especially in that heat, if we went a little easier, it would be much more enjoyable.
Brochure states it is at elevation of 2200 M (7150 ft.). A bus takes you up the hill (5 K) to Sunshine Village. $27.00 worth every penny. The first leg of the journey is a 100 ft. elevation gain to get you up to the meadows. 




As per map, we made it as far as Grizzly Lake, there were reports of a grizzly around the lakes area. We had our bear spray but I have to admit both of us are scared to use it....
We are both hoping we would be able to do it if needed... I my research I somewhere saw a photo of the area perhaps in Sept. that the larch trees were in full color, how beautiful to go then or perhaps late July when flowers are in full bloom. Plans for the future....











I love these graceful ladies (Anemone) with the abundant hairstyle (I'm jealous)








Our first glimpse of the meadows and after that first slog, more up! 


Looking at this photo now, I am
remembering a beautiful, fresh
breeze on a very hot day..
Turned out breeze was only at top of mountain, As we walked down, as soon as soon as 
you descended the breeze disappeared . 
Along with that and being so tired it exhausted me....

 






 Very smoky that morning

but with the breeze, cleared by
mid afternoon.

















Flowers were just passed their prime, although the further up and into the trees, it was a whole different world.




1 K to Rock Isle Lake


Smokey rest stop









Rock Garden


First glimpse of Rock Isle Lake






Beautiful shot of Ruth's



Seems I am tied to the Great Divide...




























Rock Isle Lake...











I can't decided which view is more beautiful....so they both get included in my blog!









We are doing this!!!



And up yet again....






Backside of Lake.
It wasn't until you looked at the distant hills that you noticed the smoke. There was only a couple of time the breeze brought in the smell of smoke. Most of the time you would just catch a whiff.





"Do I smell lunch"



.




It appears Mt. Revelstoke does not have all the wild flowers....The higher up they were not as far advanced as downhill.....Beautiful....We must go at the end of July! 
 Mentioning Revelstoke reminded me of the horseflies! After battling them most of the day we had to leave sooner than we wanted because we had reached our limits. insect spay has no effect on them....
Sunshine had no horseflies..... wonder why the difference......(another query Ruth ;-)









Backside of Lake, original viewpoint is upper right.







Are we not blessed to be living in this part of the world.....Seems to me we have already won the lottery.













Can you imagine the harsh conditions these ladies have to survive in?






En-route to Grizzly Lake.













Some welcome shade, but no breeze...




















Sitka Valerian














First glimpse of Grizzly Lake.







At this point I had reached my limit....All I could think of was we had to get back to the last bus and I was getting slower.
Ruth wanted to go to viewpoint at other end of lake I decided I would wait for her here...
I always have to have a beautiful spot for reflection in each trip...This was it....although after about 20 min. of beautiful silence listening to the wind in the trees.(nothing like that sound) a thought niggled in that this probably wasn't the smartest thing we had ever done. I remembered there was a grizzly spotted in the lakes area. All turned out well..

I often feel badly that I hold Ruth back. She is so good at going my speed but her endurance is much better than mine.....Incentive! At least we are out there and doing our (my) best.






My favorite larch trees.

























































































Western Spring Beauty
I thought this was Grass of Parnassus........I don't know!






Final look at Grizzly Lake

Ruth found great photos when she went on to the end of Grizzly lookout....























Homeward bound.















All flowers tuck themselves into little nooks and cranys for protection.








I loved this little gem. Have no idea what it was and I think it was the only one I saw.
Broke my rule of taking more than one shot and the breeze let me down and tickled the bloom. Would have been a great shot......(last words)















On the last stretch back to Rock Isle Lake...Parks Canada make it easier for people like me!










Thank goodnes the last 1/3 mile was downhill . Very hot. At this point Ruth was tired
and headed ahead of me....(I was slow) And we made it for the earlier bus at 4 pm
Last bus of the day was 5 pm........wheww


Thanks Ruth for the great day......Next year?